- 49-year-old woman
- Right-sided sural nerve mass
- Distal pain and numbness of the ankle
What is the structure at the blue arrowhead?
A. Degenerative axon/axonal-spheroid
B. Spheroid body
C. Lafora neurite
D. Lafora body/corpora amylacea
Correct answer: A. Degenerative axon/axonal-spheroid
Traumatic neuroma: axonal spheroid
- Occur at site of prior transected nerve with disorganized repair
- H&E: randomly oriented nerve “twigs” in haphazard fibrous background
- Subacute finding of transected axon; degenerates proximally
- Toluidine blue stain: dilated axon with disorganized axoplasm within Schwan cell sheath
Quick note: This post is to be used for informational purposes only and does not constitute medical or health advice. Each person should consult their own doctor with respect to matters referenced. Arkana Laboratories assumes no liability for actions taken in reliance upon the information contained herein.